Monday, March 11, 2013

"Let them eat pie!" That's totally how that goes...right?


In a feat of superhuman strength, Matt and I made it from St. Croix to NYC to Manassas, VA in an eighteen hour turnaround to go to a tasting and expo at our wedding venue. Given the uncertain nature of our schedules, there’s no guaranteeing we will have another opportunity to go visit again before we are backhanding each other with frosting and squeezing each other’s hands through slurred, unprompted toasts. It was imperative we get to Virginia and start gathering intel for Operation: Wedding.

You can pinterest your wedding all day long and in the heat of the moment, some decisions will still come as a surprise. The strongest example for me?

Wedding Pie.

It is impossible to oversell my love of pie. Oh, what kind, you ask? What is this, amateur hour? ALL OF IT. I love PIE. The miracle of sweet, tangy key limes juiced to perfection, floating delicately above compressed graham cracker crumbs all whilst kissing a small, puffy cloud of creamy, sugary heaven? Give it. Rich molasses enveloping hearty pecans so delicious nobody cares how they’re pronounced, bursting against the confines of buttery, flaky golden crust? Bring it. Schnazzberry and rhubarb? I’ll gleefully devour seconds whilst wearing your silly purple top hat, Mr. Wonka. Pie isn’t afraid to transcend borders and stake out new territory, either. Chicken pot pie. Shepherd’s pie. PIZZA pie. Everyone loves pizza. Chicken pot cobbler? Pizza cake? I’d gag but my head already exploded trying to conceive of such vulgarity. I think you get it.

 I have never been one of those girls who planned her wedding. The only thing I nailed down from an early age was that I would have wedding pie instead of cake. It has been literally the only detail I cared to plan. Tiers of wedding pies with unlimited choice for my guests! Pies on pies on pies! Pies in a house with a mouse, on a boat with a goat with nary a cake to be seen!

I’m just not a huge cake fan. When people pass it out at birthday parties, I take the smallest piece possible out of obligation. It’s all just…sugary bread with no flavor jazzed up with a chance to eat some annoying cartoon character’s face (face it, gleefully chewing Dora’s face so she can’t ask you another insipid question is MOST gratifying. I’ll tell you which way to go: MY STOMACH). Celebratory cake almost never blows my mind (Two exceptions: My Nannie’s lemon pound cake and Cynthia Montana’s chocolate mint cake. Nannie’s lemon pound cake was so good, one year my grandma tried to replicate it. Cheers of “NANNIE CAKE!” quickly subsided into sputtering crumbs and shrieks of disdain. The masses knew an impostor when it crossed their lips). Bottom line: the best cake is just…cake. The worst pie still pile-drives it into the ground for me.

We’re at the expo trying different bakeries samples and my stepmother is graciously asking every baffled vendor if wedding pie is a possibility. The best suggestion? “We could maybe make a cake that was like a pie!” I just…fail to see how that’s not a cake. Or how a bakery could be so confused about the concept of pie.

Here’s my Marie Antionette moment:  everybody else likes cake but me…so let them eat cake. Cake is classy. Somehow, it became the desert of celebration and pie became the desert of holidays. I can respect that, sort of an Apple vs PC situation.  Some jagaloons even look forward to cake at a wedding. It’s one of the comforts in this pinterest-crazy, themed wedding world we live in. Think about the INSANITY we’re subjecting people to at weddings now.  “I wasn’t sure where I was after that slam-poetry reading of Mumford lyrics at the ceremony… or after sitting on a bale of hay for an hour while they passed out mason jars filled with homemade pickle juice, whiskey and condescension at cocktail hour but…this is definitely a wedding! There’s CAKE!” I can’t ask my closest friends and family to vow to support our marriage without giving them a piece of cake or it’s doesn’t feel official.

I may be a bride who loves pie but this isn’t “my day”.  It’s about family.

I do not have the luxury of believing our family in this world comprises only those given to us by birth. I shook that notion like so much dust from my feet years ago. It’s at weddings and funerals that we see the bond like so many silk threads connecting us inseparably and inexplicably. The deceptive plateaus of time between extremes can allow us to delude ourselves that the connection has been worn away by distance and neglect but it’s never true. We thread and weave new members into our family with every passing year and their joys and trials send ripples of energy through every strand. We are all affected by even the tangential connections. Its touch lets us know we’ve transcended into family; that our lives are no longer merely anecdotal to one another but experienced together. Matthew understands the finality and implications of becoming my family. We are now openly inviting people to join or reaffirm that connection.

Every guest who RSVP’s attending will be entering into that covenant with us. I hold that covenant close to my heart, closer than…dare I say it…pie.  Our guests vow to shine the light that guides us home to each other when we veer off course, to cover our ears from the siren calls of the world that want to watch us dash apart against the rocks. So many marriages are falling apart around us these days. I don’t think it’s harder to be married. I think somewhere along the line we convinced ourselves that marriage meant one person should be our “everything”, “the one”, “MY WORLD” instead of asking someone to be our PERSON: our best partner amongst a wonderful, ever-expanding  network of people.  Two threads in a web intertwined for strength, knowing that without the whole web they’ll be blown about in the wind.

If you’re at our wedding, you’re a part of us. You’re connected to us forever. Your highs and lows are ours and vice versa. We will feel them rippling towards us, heedless of the confines of time and space, because we are family.

That’s a lot to ask of anyone. The least I owe you is a piece of stupid cake.  

No comments:

Post a Comment